Will LA-EA2 and A mount lens increase burst autofocus on Nex-7?

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Questions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,489Gear list
Like?
Re: Will LA-EA2 and A mount lens increase burst autofocus on Nex-7?
In reply to howardleeming, Oct 10, 2012

howardleeming wrote:

I'm thinking of getting an Nex-7 rather than Nex-6 and would like to use burst shots for mainly street shots. I think i am correct in thinking the Nex-6 will autofocus between shots at a greater rate than the Nex-7. So if this is correct, would using an LA-EA2 with A mount lens on the Nex-7 increase the number of shots/second with auto focus on each shot??

The highest 'burst' mode is achieved by turning review and auto-focus off between the shots. In this method, Nex-6, Nex-7, LA-EA2 all behave the same. Burst mode further gets affected by buffer size, processing time and SDcard writing time.

If you want AF to be done between the shots, you slow down a lot. The Nex-7 will be the slowest, with the Nex-6 and LA-EA2 being both a lot faster. However, in AF-C mode, the Nex-7 will maintain focus, so it is possible that it can produce a similar speed (by the subject already being in focus), as long as the subject remains in the focus field (it fails on an approaching or fading subject).

So yes, your assumption that the LA-EA2 will speed up burst mode with AF-on on the Nex-7 is generally correct, but is sensitive to other factors. The LA-EA2 is generally less sensitive.

If you where to do rapid button-press sequences (even slower), the LA-EA2 would win hands down, using PDAF. Hopefully the Nex-6 can keep up. The Nex-7 again depends on focus tracking/focus field. If the AF-C is on, and the subject remains in the focus field, the Nex-7 will still be fairly quick.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow