Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Maxeyesore
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
DSLR mechanics question, idea.
Oct 10, 2012

Ok so here's my deal. Coming from a sony a33 (first camera besides cheap P&S), and now with a K30, I've seen things from very different worlds already. So I ask myself, with electronic first curtain shutters in many cameras today, mostly mirrorless and SLT, why do we need a shutter to begin with? This isn't even the biggest part of my curiosity.

Take video for example. The camera knows how to take 30 (or whatever #) frames per second as video, and the shutter is obviously not capable of that speed. So we are in LV, the sensor is constantly exposed, and the camera digitally snaps dozens of 2mp shots per second. Why can't my K30 do this 6 times per second and just use the whole rez? we can even tell it how long to expose each frame in video. Why is it my camera can do all this electronically for video but not in photos?

Is this just a way for the industry to keep us buying new gear? Shutters are often the weak link, driving repair costs or body upgrades. Any thoughts??

-- hide signature --

To see is to believe...PENTAX

Maxeyesore's gear list:Maxeyesore's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Pentax K-5 IIs
Pentax K-30 Sony SLT-A33
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow