Would anyone buy D lenses over G lenses just for build quality?

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lachlanf
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Would anyone buy D lenses over G lenses just for build quality?
Oct 10, 2012

Title says it all. I'm coming to a d800e from 645 and need to build up my collection of primes from the ground up. I plan on starting with a 50mm and 85mm.

In 85mm the 1.8G seems like a no-brainer. Even if it is made in china from plastic the quality blows the D version out of the water and the value for money against the 1.4 is outstanding.

50mm it's less obvious. I want 1.4 basically for the low-light pub shots with mates use-case where an extra 2/3 of a stop doesn't hurt. However, I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that what I'm thinking will be my primary lens is so plasticy. Even the latest generation "plastic" Mamiya 645 manual focus lenses have metal filter rings... However, the 1.4G is definitely optically superior in every way.

Clearly you guys can't make the decision for me, but I'm curious to hear what peoples opinions are on the issue of build quality vs more modern optical design?

(PS. before anyone recommends Zeiss - I don't want manual focus for the 50mm, which I plan to keep on the front of the camera most of the time. A 28mm f2 AI is on the cards though )

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow