Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Aragis
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Is my D800 faulty?
Oct 10, 2012

After long years of shooting with my trusty old D2x, I've finally gathered the money and determination to get a new body. I did many many days (even weeks) of research, trying to find the one that would suit me best and ultimately decided on getting the well-recieved D800 and a 24-120 f/4 with it.

I was expecting to be amazed by the massive jump I've made, upgrading to a new and supposedly "ground-breaking" model from the 8 year old D2x. Unfortunately, the experience so far has been less than satisfactory.

Sorry about the cheesy introduction but I wanted to stress how excited I was and what a fiasco it was for me. Lemme get to the point:

My D800 has major back focusing issues... Especially with my top lens, the 80-200mm 2.8. It's terrible at f/2.8, of course it gets better at slower apertures like f/8. But it's still there. The problem is less troubling with the brand new 24-120mm, but still a trouble.

I've bought it from the grey market (don't mistake it for illegal, this is completely legitimate), it has no official warranty but I know the seller and I've worked with her for several years. If I want a refund or a replacement, she'll get it done. Thing is, the technical guy she recommended me has checked the device and the lenses but he claims that my D800 is NOT defective and told me that THIS PROBLEM OCCURS WITH ALL D800'S and it is worse with the 80-200 because the lens is old and it wouldn't happen with a 70-200 VR. He insists that this is not an issue with my camera body, but all the D800's out there and that's supposedly why Nikon added the "AF Fine tuning" feature.

I find it hard to believe that all D800 owners are walking around with faulty-AF cameras that require specific tuning with every single lens they have, and all these people are content with having an imperfect device for which they happily paid 3000 dollars and more.

My seller knows that the this guy doesn't think it is an issue, so she is apprehensive about giving me a replacement. I could insist, but if this problem really is chronic, I'd rather just ask for a refund and get over with it.

Most of my friends are Canon people so I don't have anyone to compare my experience with. Can someone please tell me the truth of this?

Nikon D2X Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow