GXR. M-Mount. The final way with manual lenses? Should I stay or should I go...

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
VladimirV
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659
Like?
Re: GXR. M-Mount. The final way with manual lenses? Should I stay or should I go...
In reply to RainerTKH, Oct 10, 2012

RainerTKH wrote:

As I told you in my Nokton Thread, I´m extrem happy with the used Nokton 35mm 1.2 I bought ten days ago. With my GXR-M-Mount its a camera-lens combination to fall in love with.The focus peaking with modus 2 is a pure joy for me.

Last night I surfed a lot in the net and found many perfect pics from GXR users who shoot with the VC 15mm Super Wide Heliar lens. So there is a little voice inside my head that tells me: "Go and buy the Heliar 15mm. Go on there and sell your A12 28mm and A12 50mm and buy more manual lenses. Fokus Peaking rules!"

Must say that I never shoot sports, kids, birds or other AF stuff. Only landscape, little portrait and meantime travel photographie.The AF of the A12s are so slow, the most times I use them in manual way...

Annother point is that now switching to all manual lenses is perhaps an invest for the future. Ricoh can do what they want with the fine GXR. If they cancel it, I will use the M-Modul a few more years and move easy than with all my manual lenses to a than peaking Sony or Fuji camera?!

So, are there other GXR friends who ride the same road, from using the AF Lensors to pure manual lenses with the m-modul??

Rainer

I think manual M lenses are the best option and I have moved the same direction.

First, you can use these lenses on any film and digital camera that is available now and will be available later which supports them and these are a lot of cameras (even if some digital cameras have problems with wideangle lenses). This means you never have to worry about buying new lenses and can continue using your lenses on cameras from any manufacturer so are not tied to a system.

The Heliar 15mm is a fantastic lens but be sure to buy the screw mount version, not only is it cheaper but it is also smaller and focuses closer (30cm vs 50cm). It is a fantastic lens though and does not have any problems on the GXR:

The Heliar 12mm (screw mount version again) is also a very nice lens and wider if you need:

Both Heliar lenses are VERY sharp on the GXR and have no problems with the corners.

You can see more pictures taken with them here:

http://ricoh-gr-diary.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Voigtlander%20Heliar%2012mm

http://ricoh-gr-diary.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Voigtlander%20Heliar%2015mm

As for using manual lenses for sports, it always depends what kind of sports you are talking about but it works (taken with the Leica Elmer 90mm f4.0 L):

And finally some pictures with the OUFRO adapter I mentoned in the other thread (taken with the fantastic and cheap Jupiter-12 35mm f2.8 lens):

The best thing about using manual lenses is that each lens has it's own unique character and signature so the pictures ever look 'digital'.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow