Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Graystar
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,373
Like?
Re: f/2.0 on point & shoot vs f/3.5-5.6 on full frame
In reply to halfmonkey, Oct 10, 2012

halfmonkey wrote:

Larry251 wrote:

I asked a similar question recently.  Take a look at the thread below for some additional thoughts.  Hope it helps.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50031401

Thanks for the link. After reading that and thinking about it, I guess it would have to be the case that there would be a difference. All things being equal, f2.0 on a p&s is not the same as f/2.0 on a aps-c or full frame camera simply because the full frame and aps-c camera are processing more light information because more light is simply hitting the sensor. With that being said, I would have to assume that although on paper f/2.0 on a p&s sounds really good, maybe f/3.5-5.6 on Sony's NEX-7 or Canon's 7D is till better than the f/2.0 simply because more light is hitting the sensor.

Again, this is not factoring in the DOF differences as I'm just simply referring to the quality of the image that will be taken at those values.

If it's image quality you're concerned about, then bigger sensors are better regardless of the aperture.  IQ has nothing to with the aperture, so it was a misunderstanding to have considered it in the first place.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow