D800 Grip Revisited - Nikon is DUMB!

Started Oct 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
arizonadesertrat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,323Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Grip Revisited - Nikon is DUMB!
In reply to Shotcents, Oct 10, 2012

Shotcents wrote:

arizonadesertrat wrote:

newtoy wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

newtoy wrote:

Are you sure that they are 99% identical? If your see thing a little deeper behind the surface. You will see the main difference! Cast metal vs plastic! Are they functionally the same? Let put on you 70-200 vr ii. You'll see what I mean!

My 70-200 VRII is the lens that's on my camera most of the time and it's the main reason I bought the grip to begin with. I've had the Nikon grip on my camera. If it felt/worked better I'd have bought it without a care.

Robert

OK, fair enough, I hope you are not using Black Rapid Strap as well. Wishing you all the luck!

While I wouldn't think about using a cheapo grip, my Black Rapid straps have been working just great, 70-200VR and all.

-- hide signature --

Fiat Lux

My BR strap is exactly what made my Nikon grip fail. Even though it was tight on the body it apparently worked the contacts and eventually made it fail. I did NOT tell Nikon that I had a strap connected to the tripod socket of the grip. I guess that makes me dishonest, but I don't believe the grip is engineered for such usage now.

So I always remove the grip (regardless of brand!) when using the BR strap to play it safe.

Robert

The BR strap should be fastened to the lens, not the camera or the grip.

-- hide signature --

Fiat Lux

arizonadesertrat's gear list:arizonadesertrat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow