Don't trust my 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.4 primes...

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zalle
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
Don't trust my 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.4 primes...
Oct 10, 2012

I own these 2 lenses, canon 50mm 1.4 and canon 85mm 1.8 but I don't trust their focus.

Sometimes, wide open I get great shots, but lots of times they are just out of focus, pretty blurry. If I take 3 shots of the same thing, one of them will be good. The lenses have great IQ, but bad focus consistency.

I've tried everything, for example putting the camera 5D MKII on a tripod, shoot a shelf full of books and 3 different shots can give me 3 different results. I tend to do these tests at 1.4 or 1.8, because that is the critical point.

It's not about speed, I get the same results at 1/1600 and even faster. I also tried micro-adjusting, but the results are not consistent. The 50mm tends to get better results at +20 and the 85mm at +10, but not always...

What is happening here? I'm used to get near 100% perfect focused shots with my other lenses (24-105, 17-55, 100-400, 10-22, 70-200). I know the DOF of these ones is pretty shallow, but even then, it is just not consistent.

Is it my copies or are these lenses in general weak performers?

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow