Hands-On Sony NEX-6 & 16-50mm OSS images & other E-Mount Lens

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
andyrox
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
Re: Hands-On Sony NEX-6 & 16-50mm OSS images & other E-Mount Lens
In reply to webgeek, Oct 10, 2012

webgeek wrote:

I got a Sony NEX-6 & 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 loaner from Sony Vietnam for two days and here are some real-life images. In this series I also use the NEX-6 with my existing E-Mount lens to see how it worked, so the images are mixed. All images are JPEG & Hand-held. I hope the EXIF show which lens is which. Here are the lens I used, 16-50mm OSS, 50 1.8, 30 3.5 Macro, CZ 24mm 1.8, Lietz 90mm f/4.0 Manual Focus with Focus Peaking.

Overall, the images are very nice, on par with my NEX-7. The noise is a bit better since it is 16mpx. The camera worked well with all lens. The 16-50mm lens is sweet and cover a better range than my old 18-55mm kit (which I sold). The dynamic range of NEX-6 is pretty nice and detailed. The colors and white balance is spot on. I use it on Auo-White-Balance. I did not test the Hybrid AF, so sorry on that. After two days of shooting, however, I preferred my NEX-7 because I can operate much quicker with the Tri-Navi controls dials. I love the fact that I can see the histogram with the EV compensation in real-time. With the NEX-6 when you do EV compensation, it is two button push-and-rotate and you cannot see the histogram to judge your compensation.

There is one aspect of the NEX-6 that I love, is that I can hand-held and shoot 3 images with +-5EV aparts. This is great for hand-held HDR which I do often. I hope NEX-7 will update firmware to give this same feature. In return, I cannot do my wireless flash like how I do it on my NEX-7.

Feel free to ask me any question. As it is still fresh in my minds. Will I buy this camera to as a second body to my setup. Yes without a doubt. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!! Make sure you buy the 16-50mm kit lens too, as this lens is pretty excellent for a kit, and I have used many kit lens before

I have used all NEX series for the last 4 years since the original NEX-5 and find it slowly getting better with features and lens as well.. I love the system...

JUST TO CLARIFY ... I don't work for Sony and they never gave me anything. I just know a person inside and he always let me test the new equipments. I am waiting to test the new 10-18mm f/4.0 OSS and 35mm f/1.8 OSS

Thanks for this.  Re exposure compensation:

Can the button presses be assigned to the Fn button, and,

Can the exposure compensation adjustment be seen in the EVF?

Andy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow