Maybe a "Bad" news for NEX-5R/6 early user. But eventually it's a good news...

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
privater
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Maybe a "Bad" news for NEX-5R/6 early user. But eventually it's a good news...
Oct 10, 2012

I just received my Nex 5R body today. and Sadly report that the Sel18-55 lens need a firmware update to  support the new phase-detection AF.

Here is the vital part of the transcript I discussed with a Sony Technic support:

7:35 PM  Maria - (C4Q9): Upon verifying, since the your SEL1855 is not included as a kit lens for NEX5R, it does not support phase-detection AF on the camera.

7:40 PM  Maria - (C4Q9): Rest assured that once a firmware update is available, it will be posted on our support website.

7:43 PM  Maria - (C4Q9): As of this moment the lenses that are compatible for phase-detection AF once the update is released are the following: SEL1855, SEL55210, SEL18200, SEL24F18Z.

7:46 PM  Maria - (C4Q9): Additional E-mount lenses will support phase-detection AF in the future. As of this moment the ones I mentioned above are included on the future update.

7:47 PM  Maria - (C4Q9): But if you have 16-50mm F3.5-5.6, 35mm F1.8, 10-18mm F4, they does not require an update.

7:50 PM  Maria - (C4Q9): Sony will continue to do its product enhancement so all the other lenses will support this new feature of the camera.

So it's interesting to know that there is a firmware inside the lens, I know Olympus and Panasonic have firmware in their lens, but it's first time I know Sony have a firmware in their lens.

So according to the representative, we have to wait for the firmware update to using our "old" Sel18-55, but those attached with kit NEX-5R/6 sel18-55 lens will have the newest phase-detection AF optimized firmware.

And It's good to know Sony will expanded the phase-detection AF to ALL it's lenses, I really want this on my Sel50f18, which hunts the most~

BTW, I really like the 5R's new dial and Fn button, as well as 180' flip screen, in camera-charge with macro-USB cable. didn't try wifi yet.

privater's gear list:privater's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 +17 more
NEX5R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow