ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dartymix1
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Comparing Apples and Oranges
Oct 10, 2012

Greetings:

I currently own a D80 and shoot mainly wildlife, landscapes, vacation shots, and my daughter's swimming and soccer.  I have enjoyed the camera and the main limitation for my use is when it starts getting dark, the camera doesn't have the ISO range of the relatively newer models like the D7000 and so the later and darker it gets, the grainier (AKA noise) the pictures become (especially soccer and swimming).  I don't really want to go the flash photography route either.

I have been contemplating getting either a new camera or a 70-200 VRII--my thinking was that with the 2.8 aperture that I would be able to shoot at a lower ISO but still keep the speed up a bit and the lens would be sharper than my 70-300.  I mainly use my 70-300 VR now for the sports and my 300F4 with a 1.4 TC for wildlife.   The 300 F4 is very sharp and made a huge difference over the 70-300.

I was kind of holding off on getting a new camera until Nikon puts VR in the camera itself (I know, wishful thinking), plus I have only taken 28,000 shots with the D80 so it is just getting broken in I would think.

The question is would I see more image improvement with getting (and mastering )a D7000 or its progeny or buying a 70-200 2.8?  If it matters, I also have a 60 2.8 macro and the 16-85 lenses.

Even if I get the new lens, I would keep the 70-300 for vacations.

Thanks for your sage advice.

Marty

Nikon D7000 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow