Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pierrick
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
In love with Nikon (former Canon user)
Oct 9, 2012

I just switched from a Canon 5D Mark II to a Nikon D600. I have been shooting for about 10 years, and always used Canon until last week.

The first feeling I got with the D600 is that... IT JUST WORKS!

Focus: I take mostly static shots, portraits, landscape, my toddler (OK, not so static alright!)... I couldn't ever use the outer edge focus points on the 5D2, but with the D600, I nail the focus EVERY SINGLE TIME. It makes me feel better about my abilities as well. I really thought I was doing something wrong this whole time. But with the Nikon, zero problem. Focus on the eye, the eye is in perfect focus. Focus on the rock in the foreground, rock in the foreground is in focus.

Exposure: same considerations. The Canon metering is pretty "jumpy" or "erratic". It's hard to get a scene properly rendered, especially with a flash. With the Nikon: nailed it, every single time (matrix mode). The ultimate test: I shot a framed diploma (frame under a sheet of glass) straight on, with the flash (yes, it was just a test). The result: a perfectly exposed diploma, perfect focus, and a bright spot where the reflection of the flash went. Try THAT with a Canon. You'll get a properly exposed bright spot where the flash reflected itself, and the rest (the main subject) is 4 stops underexposed.

White balance: OMG! It nails it too, every single time! No need to constantly update the white balance in Lightroom for ALL the indoor shots, it does it right in camera!

Photographer's features: even though I am still struggling with the buttons layout of the Nikon after 10 years of Canon SLRs, I am very pleased with the Nikon "user experience". Like having the metering mode in the viewfinder. Or having an easy to control Auto-ISO that I can enable or disable at will without removing my eye from the viewfinder. Same for bracketing! And a dedicated mirror lockup switch! I miss the big wheel on the back from the Canons, but I am sure it'll only a matter of a few weeks before it is completely forgotten. And what about those trillion custom options you can choose from, with easy to understand tips to describe what it does?

I guess most of my comments apply to Nikon vs Canon in general, but I am extremely pleased with my decision to switch from Canon to Nikon. I simply love the fact that it just works. I don't need to second guess my camera, I can trust that it's gonna do its job the way I want it to. And I spend a LOT LESS time in Lightroom too!

I only have one lens so far, the 24-120 F4 VR. Love the range. And I bought the little SB-400 flash, which is AMAZING for such a small package (I come from a 580EX II, big and heavy, from Canon). I can't wait to get my hands on an 85mm f1.8G.

Maybe it's just the honeymoon phase, but I am in love with my Nikon.

Pierrick's gear list:Pierrick's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow