Following The Rules....a Last Place Finish

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
hsps2
Regular MemberPosts: 361
Like?
Re: Following The Rules....a Last Place Finish
In reply to Joshua123, Oct 9, 2012

Joshua123 wrote:

My entry finished 68th out of 69 entries.  Why?  The rules were followed.  The phtograph was of quality.

Hi Joshua,

Just my two cents worth here, maybe less:)  I haven't entered too many challenges, but I did happen to enter the one you're writing about (I didn't win either).  I looked at your entry numerous times over the course of the voting.  It's technically good and certainly adheres to the rules probably better than many of the entries.  However, like I've seen in most challenges, the photos that score the highest almost always have something that catches the eye or stands out more that the other entries - could be the subject, the background, the colors, the composition, the degree of diffuculty in getting the shot, the emotion it evokes, or all of the above.  My guess is that if you had taken a close up of the button with a slightly out of focus old gas station or diner in the distant background, or propped it up against an old cow skull, or done any number of things to add another element of interest to the photo, you would have done quite well.
By the way, I haven't done exceptionally well in any of the challenges I've entered, but I do know what catches my eye when I look at other entries.  And the ones that really catch my eye are usually in the top five or ten at the conclusion of the challenge.

Best wishes to you for a winner in the next challenge.

-- hide signature --

hsps2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow