Does it make a big difference which country the Nikon lens is manufactured?

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
To be honest ... :)
In reply to Pearlie, Oct 9, 2012

Pearlie wrote:

Through all the sites I've looked up it all says the GLASS IS MADE IN JAPAN. No matter where its put together and then I found this website http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#DX

it tells you exactly where each lens is made. Have you ever heard of lets say for example Nikon 10-24mm its made in China. Would you get bend out of shape that the whole thing is not made in Japan?

I'm just looking for opinions...

I think it probably matters a whole lot more - photographically speaking - in which country a lens is actually used, rather then where it was made...

And note, there could be a difference between "glass made in" and "manufactured in". The glass (lens elements) could be made in Japan, some electronics in Taiwan, other electronics in Korea and then the components are put together into a complete lens in China or Thailand. Welcome to our new world of distributed manufacturing.

In this modern world components come from a variety of sources, manufacturing are done in many places, and quite frankly I cannot see why so many people spend so much time worrying about it.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow