Superbikes race - settings advice

Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
cosmicnode
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?
Re: World Championship Superbikes and Supersport races in Portimão/Portugal
In reply to LUIS ASCENSO, Oct 9, 2012

I have used the D800 for motor sport. I found the auto iso settings which change min shutter speeds when zooming to be very useful, choose a aperture and shoot with one of the settings, slow to fast depending on if you are panning or shooting a approaching car. As you zoom out to a longer focal length the shutter speeds increase , they decrease when you zoom in to a shorter focal length, the centre setting is the reciprocal of the focal length that is 1/80sec for 80mm fl. the higher settings give, each of the other settings change the shutter speed by one stop higher or lower, the higher settings giving a "safety margin" from hand held camera shake, The lower settings are useful for panning with the lens wide open for background blur and isolation, experiment between the settings. the auto iso is found in the Shooting menu - iso sensitivity settings - minimum shutter speed - auto- slower to faster. I use continuous focusing with release priority  dynamic 9 or 21 for the AF. the focus tracking set to normal. I mainly shoot with a 200-400 set on a ballhead and monopod with the ballhead "loose"

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow