Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572Gear list
Like?
Confused Somewhat by DXO Mark Numbers and Still Lifes from Imaging Resource
Oct 9, 2012

I am doing a lot of analyses regarding color depth (I call it color splitting since I am concerned in the ability of sensors to accurately separate colors no matter how close in hue-an example would be the yellow yarns in the Imaging Resource photos).  I have an IPS Monitor (the Asus 24 inch ProArt-the new one with USB 3) and am trusting it a lot for color identification so I am evaluating these data with that monitor.  I am to date using the Canon 1DX and Nikon D600 still life photos on Imaging Resource as my standards.  I notice a slight difference in the color chart in the front in the  yellow (third from right in the 3rd row).  I have this chart and holding it up to the monitor I find that yellow to be closest to the Canon 1DX one.  The D600 seems to separate the yellows in the yarns very well so this is confusing.  However, both cameras are so close, and each so close to the photo colors that I don't see one going wrong with either.  I am currently agonizing over the D600 and 6D (the 1DX is out of my price range).  The DXO Mark numbers are confusing me based on what I see on my monitor.  I expect, even though I have an excellent monitor, it can't resolve the bit depth DXO Mark is talking about.  Not sure.  I won't weigh in on the threads I see arguing the DXO numbers since I don't have enough info. to make any type of opinion.

I am presently doing color charts based on the oil paints I use regularly.  I hope taking photos of those charts will help me determine what sensors work well.  I obviously won't be able to compare the cameras listed above but will be able to test the Canon T4i which I own.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS-1D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow