Sigma Software

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nancy and Pete Spader
Senior MemberPosts: 2,050
Like?
Spp works for us
In reply to rattymouse, Oct 9, 2012

The only time it has ever crashed is when we have too many X3F files in a folder, or when I accidentally try to process a corrupt X3F file. We do not have the newest cameras yet (SD1Merrill or DP1,2 Merrill) and I expect their larger file size will make the need rto keep the number of files in a folder low even more important. But opnce you know the problem it is not longer a problem.

Since Sigmas are our first and only Digital cameras, SPP is what we have used from the first. I did try an earlier version of CS (CS4) but found SPP did a significantly better job of capturing what was in  the X3F file IMO. In addition I have always liked Picture Windows Pro for PP (with other programs for Panos and special things), so I am used to using SPP just to convert X3F to TIFF.

Since Sigma is the only one who has all the code going into X3F, I figure they should do the best job of conversion. I agree I wish they improved it. I would like a Color Temperature slider and other things added, not to mention easier color adjustments (though what they have works well and this is one thing PWP deos very well and easily.

If we were doing Pro work that needed a lot of automatic processing of 1000s of files in short time for clients who are willing to settle for "good enough" IQ I might want an integrated program that let me save time. But I do cherish the best IQ possible above all else, and so until something shows us it can convert X3F better than SPP we will stick with what works best in our judgment and that is SPP.

Pete and Nancy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow