A RAW refresher: the differences between JPEG and RAW.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
gordonsbuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
Well said but ...
In reply to howardroark, Oct 9, 2012

First, my congratulations on a well written article (seems like it should be preserved somewhere other than a forum discussion thread).  I'll add that, in browsing this forum, I take note of your comments on other threads and subjects.  Thanks for your many contributions.

Even so, I held off on reading this discussion thread because of its controversial nature and because, well, what's the use?  Anyway, I am in agreement with your point of view on RAW v JPEG and, for the most part, shoot RAW myself.

That said, I am in awe of photographers who can consistently produce very good images "straight-out-of-camera" (SOOC -- but then that is another debatable topic!) as an 8 bit JPEG.  This accomplishment requires, at the very least, getting both good exposure and good white balance -- not to mention tweaking the camera settings for the appropriate contrast,  sharpness, saturation, etc.  (But then, isn't that the function of P mode and automatic white balance?   ) My understanding is that the vast majority of newspaper photographers and many other photojournalists must submit their images as JPEGs.  Hats off to them!

I'm afraid that I'm one of those who photograph but are not particularly good at it.  For me, RAW (and cropping) provides the opportunity to "get it right" and I don't hesitate to do so.

Especially for large prints (large to me is 12x18 on my own printer), it seems to me better to print from the Photoshop (.psd, 16 bit) file.  But then I save, for posterity, a JPEG version of the print file as well.

I can shoot RAW+customized JPEG in my 7D but not in my G1X and confess to sometimes using the JPEG version of the file - especially when in a hurry on many files (I have a granddaughter).  I'm about to undertake a little self assigned project to recalibrate myself and my cameras to see if I can get more acceptable JPEGs "SOOC".  Acceptable means "more like what I would have done in Lightroom" from RAW.

All this reminds me of when I attended photo workshop with a teaching pro photographer.  He saw that I had at least a good technical grasp of photography and asked what I hope to accomplish from the workshop.  I said that my goal was to increase the yield of "keepers" from a shoot.  This was in the days of film -- slide film at that.  When asked how many "keepers" I was now getting, I was embarrassed to admit that I got only three keepers from a 36 exposure roll.  The pro hesitated a few seconds and then said "I wish I got three keepers per roll!".  Later that night, the pro gave a slide show of his work and I realized that, actually, I was not getting *any* keepers!

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow