Is Micro 4/3's Going To make DSLRs obsolete?

Started Oct 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 627
Like?
Bigger is better, smaller is better
In reply to Colin Smith1, Oct 9, 2012

I think that large sensors will always be used by the portion of people who want the very best resolution and image quality that they can get.  No matter what the sensor technology, 35mm will always hold a quality advantage over u4/3 (whether or not there is a mirror box), so some small portion of the population will choose to lug around heavy gear.  And since bigger sensors mean bigger lenses, mirror or not, size reductions may come but they won't be staggering.

And while u4/3 is squeezing APS-C and FF from below, cell phone cameras get better and better, in some sense squeezing u4/3 from below.  I suspect that in the future you'll have a phone with good-enough-for-most-things quality and a few crazy people will haul out their SLRs  (or mirrorless FF) and gigantic lenses.

What I'd be really interested to see is some breakthrough that allows for economic production of really large sensors.  I don't think printing technology is up to the task yet, but it's possible that in future it could be.  Imagine the possibilities with sensors of essentially arbitrary size.  I hope it happens in my lifetime.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NONew
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow