Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
webgeek
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Hands-On Sony NEX-6 & 16-50mm OSS images & other E-Mount Lens
Oct 9, 2012

I got a Sony NEX-6 & 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 loaner from Sony Vietnam for two days and here are some real-life images. In this series I also use the NEX-6 with my existing E-Mount lens to see how it worked, so the images are mixed. All images are JPEG & Hand-held. I hope the EXIF show which lens is which. Here are the lens I used, 16-50mm OSS, 50 1.8, 30 3.5 Macro, CZ 24mm 1.8, Lietz 90mm f/4.0 Manual Focus with Focus Peaking.

Overall, the images are very nice, on par with my NEX-7. The noise is a bit better since it is 16mpx. The camera worked well with all lens. The 16-50mm lens is sweet and cover a better range than my old 18-55mm kit (which I sold). The dynamic range of NEX-6 is pretty nice and detailed. The colors and white balance is spot on. I use it on Auo-White-Balance. I did not test the Hybrid AF, so sorry on that. After two days of shooting, however, I preferred my NEX-7 because I can operate much quicker with the Tri-Navi controls dials. I love the fact that I can see the histogram with the EV compensation in real-time. With the NEX-6 when you do EV compensation, it is two button push-and-rotate and you cannot see the histogram to judge your compensation.

There is one aspect of the NEX-6 that I love, is that I can hand-held and shoot 3 images with +-5EV aparts. This is great for hand-held HDR which I do often. I hope NEX-7 will update firmware to give this same feature. In return, I cannot do my wireless flash like how I do it on my NEX-7.

Feel free to ask me any question. As it is still fresh in my minds. Will I buy this camera to as a second body to my setup. Yes without a doubt. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!! Make sure you buy the 16-50mm kit lens too, as this lens is pretty excellent for a kit, and I have used many kit lens before

I have used all NEX series for the last 4 years since the original NEX-5 and find it slowly getting better with features and lens as well.. I love the system...

JUST TO CLARIFY ... I don't work for Sony and they never gave me anything. I just know a person inside and he always let me test the new equipments. I am waiting to test the new 10-18mm f/4.0 OSS and 35mm f/1.8 OSS

Hope this helps...

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow