Started Oct 9, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Martyn Welch
Contributing MemberPosts: 842
Like?
FZ8 infrared sensor filter shattered
Oct 9, 2012

Following an online video tutorial to eliminate dust spots or fine fibres that were showing in my images  (I could clearly see one curly elongated S- shaped fibre on my rear screen if I focused on the sky) I dissembled the camera and accessed the sensor and tiny filter that sits in its small rubber surround.

I'm a professional modelmaker so am used to the careful handling of tiny components, screws etc and I was dutifully following the video tutorial which involved placing this tiny filter on a flat surface and very gently wiping across it with a cotton bud to remove any dust specs or fibres etc when it shattered. I was hardly touching it with the bud but it simply broke into several pieces.

I'm trying to source a replacement but without success so far but in the meantime - and I realise this may be a daft question - can I use the camera without the sensor's infrared filter? I realise it filters out infrared light but how vital is that to the sensor and what effects will not having it fitted show on the captured images?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow