Started Oct 9, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David43Fan
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
Worrying OM-D review at Biofos.com?
Oct 9, 2012

I picked up a used OM-D on Saturday. Idly surfing for info on OM-D settings last night, I came across this: http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em5_tst.html
"I'm not entirely happy with the output. When I transfer the images to my PC some look a little dull and lifeless and lack the 'POP' Olympus is so famous for from its JPG engine."
"They also do not represent what I actually saw from behind the camera. It's almost as though the camera is strangling the output and it is not released until the iamges are put through post processing."
"As Olympus gradually improve their ISO performance I notice many of my shots on the E-M5 and other m4/3rds machines have taken on a "veiled" look. That is to say they are lacking in resonance, clarity and verve; the colours are not as brilliant and the contrast not as sharp as the earlier models (including 4/3rds machines)."
"The E-M5 is the first Olympus camera to have the new Sony sensor. It must be a challenge for the engineers to get the processing engine tuned to its new sensor so I'm hoping the next iteration of the OM-D will be better. Not that it's bad by any means - it's just that flatness and lack of verve I dislike. I think the new TruePic engine is not producing the richness and colour signature of the older engine/sensor combination. Perhaps that's the price we have to pay fro more resolution and dynamic range."
"It's a fabulous looking camera and it appeals to the collector in me but just fails to attract the photographer in me. If it were a little less expensive I might be tempted, but for now I'm waiting for the next model."
Now, being a JPEG shooter, not a RAW+PP one, does this mean I and all other OM-D owners have to sit in front of their PC every time they want to enjoy the output of their top-of-the-range Olympus? Have I gone too far up the Olympus ladder and crossed the JPEG/RAW threshold by accident? Or are OM-D JPEGs perfectly fine and in the same league as my XZ-1, E-PL2 & E-1?
What have your own experiences of OM-D JPEGs been? Does everyone here shoot RAW, and is that because JPEGs are so awful?
Thanks for any comments. David

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow