New Canon 5d mk3 horizontal banding at iso200 - faulty body?

Started Jul 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
birdbrain
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,382Gear list
Like?
Re: New Canon 5d mk3 horizontal banding at iso200 - faulty body?
In reply to bigbadlemon, Oct 9, 2012

I don't know what software you are using but DPP does not seem to produce the sort of problems you are describing. Even just opening the RAW in DPP and then exporting it as a TIFF with no other processing and then opening that TIFF in ACR can give better results than opening the RAW in ACR. Especially if you are after doing anything extreme to the image.

I have had 2x7D's for 3 years and during that time I have shots 10's of thousands of shots and never suffered the dreaded banding that I was aware of. But I always use DPP first and then convert to TIFF for further processing. I never really liked what ACR did with the RAW's but I was much happier if I used DPP then sent a TIFF to ACR or Photoshop.

I think ACR has got better and I have even processed some of my 5D3 shots straight from the RAW in ACR. But I am still happier with first using DPP, its probably me but unless you have the confidence in the software there is always that nagging doubt and that is how I feel about using ACR on my RAW's.

Glad your replacement body turned out better in the end, perhaps you can relax and enjoy your photography a lot more. It's never nice when you have nagging doubts about your kits performance.

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
...New
+ 1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow