Started Oct 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cetonid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,476Gear list
Like?
Re: Why EVF and Live View?
In reply to Lee Saxon, Oct 9, 2012

Lee Saxon wrote:

Why do we need both?

If I was designing a camera with an EVF as excellent as the ECX331A (used in the A99), I wouldn't include LCD Live View. In fact, I'd probably put the menus on the EVF and kill the LCD altogether to make the camera smaller.

We're so far apart here.

For one, smaller makes handling problematic for some. My A77 pushes 'small' for me. I use the viewfinder 90% of the time, but for some subjects, I could not get the shot without the tilting LCD since I'm holding the camera at arm's length. Being able to use the focus peaking in the EVF or LCD allows me options when the light is not adequate to autofocus.

If you think that's a bad idea, I'd love to hear why.

PS - Would your opinion be different if it was a fixed LCD rather than a tilt/swivel?

It wouldn't be different, but I would not buy another camera without an articulating rear screen. My A77 was just sent to Sony for repair and I'm finding it difficult using the A700 again!

-- hide signature --

Lee Saxon

Cetonid's gear list:Cetonid's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony SLT-A77 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow