Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jaysun
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
DIY, beginner lighting kit on a budget.
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still pretty new to photography and have never owned a piece of studio lighting.   I have 2 speedlights that I've always used for lighting but, lately, I've run across some circumstances where those flashes aren't ideal for the conditions.   I would really like to have some even, consistent lighting to work with and adjust, so I can see what I'm working with more clearly.
I'm not really looking for someone to hold my hand and talk me through all of my purchases (although I certainly won't turn it away).    What I'm looking for is advice on what gear you would buy and/or make, if you only had a couple hundred dollars (preferably less) to work with and had to build all your lighting from that.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say that you're building a kit to take indoor portraits.    That's probably what I'd use it most for.

I already have a couple of those aluminum cone-shaped light housings that you find at Lowe's or Home Depot.     I've seen photogs use them, so I assume they'll be good enough for now.   What type and wattage of bulbs would you recommend to use, though?      Would you invest in a softbox to diffuse them or a reflective umbrella?    Now that I've already typed all this, I realize that it really boils down to those questions.  
I suppose the questions I need answered then are:
1) What type and wattage of bulbs would you recommend?
2) Would you choose to diffuse or reflect the light from those bulbs?
2) Can you recommend a place to get cheap reflectors and/or diffusers or a way to make your own?
3) I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing or not understanding about studio lighting.  Feel free to school me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow