Nikon parts: This will affect YOU. Please sign.

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nippondenso
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
This whole issue is whining over nothing
In reply to egk4260, Oct 8, 2012

egk4260 wrote:

Signed on with some misgivings. I do agree that simple parts should be available without sending out a camera or lens for service with related expense and down time, etc.

Current cameras are complicated electronic instruments. I have thankfully never required Nikon service (D4, D700, D300s, multiple lenses). I have in the past however, encountered repair service done on automobiles and lawn equipment by "experienced" as opposed to factory authorized technicians and have dealt with inadequate/inappropriate repairs which eventually required attention by authorized technicians for what turned out to be simple fixes by one who was familiar with a specific product line. I assume Nikon has likewise experienced bad unauthorized repair service for which they eventually became involved. In may of these situations I imagine the consumer may direct blame toward the "Nikon" rather than toward the poor repair service by one not fully qualified to deal with a specific product. Nikon may in part be protecting their reputation with a policy such as this.

You bring up some good points.  The one issue you overlooked is most people we read about that have grip troubles are more apt to foolishly glue their worn grips back on instead of ordering a complete set of rubber from Nikon for under $25.  That said, the underlying issue here is not that Nikon is restricting parts, it's just the opportunity needed for the resident whiners to have something to whine about.  And believe me, there are a few professional whiners on this forum that will take any opportunity to blow a simple inconvenience into a case of institutionalized oppression and blame Nikon for all their life's problems.  Frankly, Nikon's policy will have no affect on 99.999% of Nikon equipment owners.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow