Any lens on m43 ?

Started Oct 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Iskender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,313
Like?
Re: Any lens on m43 ?
In reply to Mingjai, Oct 8, 2012

Mingjai wrote:

You should have been around here in late 2008/early 2009, when the only lenses available were the Panasonic 14-45mm and 45-200mm and the Olympus 14-42mm I and 17mm/2.8. Back then, everyone on this forum was using adapted lenses. It was nice, too, because there weren't enough of us to cause much of a jump in the price for legacy lenses. I bought an FDn 50mm/1.4 for $30, an FD 24mm/2 for $75, a Kiron FD 28mm/2 for $15, and an Hexanon 40mm/1.8 for $25.

I can certainly back you up on that! Recently I asked about legacy lenses before I realised this forum is quite different from what it was in the beginning. I was surprised by how hard it suddenly was to get information on legacy lenses, and how half the posters suggested that I should buy a native lens instead. I shouldn't have been though: most of the people on these gear forums can afford a lens or two and there are now many new users who have only seen the system in its mature days.

It's harder to get access to the know-how now, but I can recommend some options for anyone interested:

• You don't need expensive adapters like those from Novoflex. At least if you stay away from the very cheapest ones Chinese ebay adapters will serve you well.
  • 28mm/2.8 & 3.5 : many mounts, these become cheap normals. Passable to good image quality.
  • 50mm/1.8 & 1.4: OM and Canon FD are good, but usually any lens will work well. Excellent short teles.
  • 135/2.8 & 3.5 : Long teles for the adventurous. Especially the 3.5s can be had for next to nothing. 135/2.0s are also available, but they cost too much.
  • M42 mount is really cheap. Some lenses are good.
  • Konica Hexanon lenses are small and sharp. They've been liked by digital shooters from before mirrorless existed.
  • Do not bother with anything wider than 28mm, the majority of it will be bad.

I hope this is of help to someone!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow