ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
neilm16
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
LX7 v TZ30
Oct 8, 2012

Hi all,

Now this may seem on paper an odd choice but please bear with me. I have recently sold my GF2 while retaining the G2 as I prefer the EVF especially when using the 45-200mm lens.

However we do need a good all round camera that my wife can use and is pocketable and easy to use. A camera that is good for example for school performances etc as we have 3 young children.

Now upto yesterday I had pretty much decided that the best option was the TZ30 priced at around £200 in the UK.

However after reading a number of reviews I am now somewhat tempted by the LX7 which is around £100 more than the TZ30. The only real compromise with the LX7 seems to be the loss of range, down from 20x to 3.8 which is alot. However I wonder in reality how often I will need anything over 3 or 4 times range?

Of course on the plus side there is a rather fantastic 1.4f lens which seems to get pretty close to the GF2 in terms of IQ according to some reviews and there lies my dilemma.

Now that I have experienced the IQ of the larger sensors and the extra depth and quality they offer would I be happy with the IQ from the TZ30 or would I be better getting the LX7?

As mentioned above I would ideally like the camera for taking images of my young family including portraits etc out side and in and of course landscapes etc.

Here is an example of my current dilemma. Ok school show! Will the LX7 and its 3.8 be enough zoom? Possibly! If it is it the images could be v good even at 2.3!

On the other hand no issues with the TZ30 as its generous zoom but unlikely to be good light and therefore we could be looking at very slow shutter speeds and having to ramp upto 1600iso in order to get a decent image? Would the output be poor and too much to sacrifice or could i live with it?! Dilemma!

One concern I have is that I havent seen many portrait images from the TZ30 as most reviews seem to use the macro mode which looks impressive or the zoom capturing a clock tower etc which doesnt help particularly in judging the detail captured in someones face.

Any advice or experiences would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 (Lumix DMC-TZ30)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow