Is Micro 4/3's Going To make DSLRs obsolete?

Started Oct 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Colin Smith1
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?
Is Micro 4/3's Going To make DSLRs obsolete?
Oct 8, 2012

Lately, as I grow older, the weight of my cumbersome 500 F4 L IS , all my other lenses and two bodies, gets harder and harder for me to schlep around the world.  A friend I have who is a fulltime pro, says he is thinking about adding the OMD-EM5 to his lineup and that he keeps meeting folks that have completely replaced their SLRs and lenses with this little camera and lenses.  I have been sorely tempted to replace my Canon gear with the OM-5, as I am traveling to Patagonia in April.  After some extensive research I have decided not to make the move for the following reasons:  Smaller files from a smaller sensor just don't add up to the quality I have now with 5D III, no high quality fast telephotos for micro 4/3s yet, plus a smaller lens lineup (unless you use an adapter), inconsistent tracking autofocus.

My question is this - as sensor technology advances, more lenses are added to micro 4/3's, and electronic viewfinders and autofocus improves, why would anyone continue to haul around heavy DSLRs and lenses?

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Colin Smith1's gear list:Colin Smith1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NONew
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow