A RAW refresher: the differences between JPEG and RAW.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chris Lofty
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
Re: A RAW refresher: the differences between JPEG and RAW.
In reply to howardroark, Oct 8, 2012

Thank you for your detailed explanation of RAW; I just wish that I could have explained it in such a clear and succinct manner as you!

I have been avidly following the recent discussions comparing RAW with Jpeg and am somewhat surprised at the level of vitriol it stirs up!

I am now retired, my last job was as 'official photographer' for a UK Government Charity where I attended many high profile events which included photographing the Royal Family and Members of Parliament. If I hadn't  shot in RAW, a large percentage of my efforts would have been wasted with unrecoverable lost highlights (as already demonstrated in this post)

I am now mainly just a hobbyist photographer, though I do earn a bit of pocket money in the microstock market! Since purchasing the G1X I though I would give Jpeg only a go; after around 2 weeks I reverted back to RAW, I wasn't happy with the results! Highlight recovery being the main reason, also I didn't like the sharpening applied with the jpeg engine, it is way too aggressive to my eyes.

I'm so used to my workflow in RAW it's second nature, so until I can be convinced otherwise I will stick to it!

-- hide signature --
 Chris Lofty's gear list:Chris Lofty's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow