A RAW refresher: the differences between JPEG and RAW.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chris Lofty
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: A RAW refresher: the differences between JPEG and RAW.
In reply to howardroark, Oct 8, 2012

Thank you for your detailed explanation of RAW; I just wish that I could have explained it in such a clear and succinct manner as you!

I have been avidly following the recent discussions comparing RAW with Jpeg and am somewhat surprised at the level of vitriol it stirs up!

I am now retired, my last job was as 'official photographer' for a UK Government Charity where I attended many high profile events which included photographing the Royal Family and Members of Parliament. If I hadn't  shot in RAW, a large percentage of my efforts would have been wasted with unrecoverable lost highlights (as already demonstrated in this post)

I am now mainly just a hobbyist photographer, though I do earn a bit of pocket money in the microstock market! Since purchasing the G1X I though I would give Jpeg only a go; after around 2 weeks I reverted back to RAW, I wasn't happy with the results! Highlight recovery being the main reason, also I didn't like the sharpening applied with the jpeg engine, it is way too aggressive to my eyes.

I'm so used to my workflow in RAW it's second nature, so until I can be convinced otherwise I will stick to it!

-- hide signature --
 Chris Lofty's gear list:Chris Lofty's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow