Comparable alt. to Photoshop as well as other must-have software?

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
JoannaR
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Re: Comparable alt. to Photoshop as well as other must-have software?
In reply to Nell27, Oct 8, 2012

Nell27 wrote:

You've been given a lot of different options but I have to say that if you're looking for something inexpensive, Lightroom isn't the way to go. It may be less expensive than the full version of Photoshop but it's still expensive and lacks many features that are in basic editing programs.

From what I've heard GIMP is good for the price but I've never used it and you know more about it than me.

When it comes to paid versions of an editing program, Paint Shop Pro will give you the most bang for your buck. It only cost about $40.00 and offers a lot for that price. It actually offers more than Elements.

Photoshop Elements will do almost anything most people need and its somewhere around $90.00.

Personally, I like Photoshop but think the CS versions are a rip off and people are paying for features they'll never use.

If I was on a tight budget and wanted something other than a free program, I'd get Paint Shop Pro. You might end up deciding it's all you'll ever need.

Thank you, I appreciate the candor.  You're right, I cannot stomach dropping an average 2 weeks' pay on an imaging program.  I've heard more wonderful things about Lightroom than not - I suppose I'd really just have to play around with it and see if it's suitable.

JoannaR's gear list:JoannaR's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow