Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Cleaning D600 Sensor
Oct 7, 2012

I got around to shooting some portraits yesterday with a black background and I realized how dirty my D600 sensor is. This morning I set out to clean it and it was one of the hardest sensor cleanings I've done. It took several passes with eclipse and pec pads to get the dust un-bonded and since it initially smeared a bit, I think it may have had some oil.

The inside of the light box also had several fibers of dust that I finally got out with a brush. All in all, it took about 90 minutes of cleaning and shooting test shots of a blue sky. I've still got a few faint spots, but only visible with really high f-stops.

I have to say that as much as I love this camera, I find it a bit disturbing to get it in this condition from Nikon. I see others are having issues with dust and oil in brand new bodies too. While the fix isn't terribly difficult, we shouldn't have to do this with new cameras. Nikon needs to step up its quality control in this area.

Ok, enough ranting. I'm going to go take some pictures with my clean sensor.

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow