I am very interested by the SX50 HS BUT THIS REVIEW STOP ME !

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,702Gear list
Like?
Re: I am very interested by the SX50 HS BUT THIS REVIEW STOP ME !
In reply to nosnoop, Oct 7, 2012

nosnoop wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

I see it differently Peter.  Remember that this is a very small sensor camera, so high ISO and long exposure times produce horrendous noise.  I think that the noise is so high under these conditions that Canon mapped the region of operation out rather than have people try to use it and be very dissappointed, because the noise becomes greater than even very aggressive NR can cope with and still produce a decent picture.

Come on, you can't be serious?

We are not talking about "high ISO" here, because you can't even use ISO 200 & 400.  So where does this "horrendous noise" come from?

Just a quick search on flickr and found this for SX30 (the last camera which allows long exposure + ISO settings):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/windgeist/5130732663/

And where is that "horrendous noise" that you are talking about?

So yes, as you said, SX50 does well in many areas.

But there is absolutely no technical reason and no plausible excuse for Canon to restrict ISO to 80 only beyond 1 second exposure - absolutely NONE!

You can't even choose ISO 100, for goodness sake!

I have other cameras for high ISO and long exposure times so not having it in the SX50 worries me not at all.

I can see how it may not affect you.

But Canon's inexplicable decision shouldn't be defended just because you don't need it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SX30 IS was a "CCD" sensor and starting with the SX40, the change was made to CMOS sensors.

CCD sensors work much better for long exposures - to my knowledge, all professional level sensors for astro-photography are CCD sensors and some of them are super-cooled.

Perhaps Canon knows best about what is and what is not possible with their sensors?

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow