G3 goes to Lapland (with a V1)

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Noam Gordon
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Use iDynamic!
In reply to Lasse Eisele, Oct 7, 2012

Beautiful set, thanks for sharing!

Regarding the limited DR on G3, here's an important tip, especially when not bracketing: Use iDynamic. Many people probably think it's just an in-camera JPEG thing, but it's not. It affects RAW shooting as well.

It is basically automatic negative exposure compensation that kicks in when the camera encounters a high-contrast scene.

When set to High, the compensation is quite aggressive, and I found many of my shots underexposed a bit too much. But nonetheless  the highlights were protected. Currently I set iDynamic to Low or Normal and it is very effective, giving me a little more peace of mind regarding highlight clipping. I also find the shadow noise (when pushed in LR4) not too bad, with a natural pleasant texture, and easily reduced in LR.

The nice thing is that iDynamic is adaptive, and doesn't underexpose lower-contrast shots unnecessarily.

P.S. The 9-18 is great, especially considering the tiny size. It gives me a lot of love too!

Cheers

Noam

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow