Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,393Gear list
Like?
DoF preview a non-function?
Oct 7, 2012

I had a ground glass (plain with gridlines and no focusing aids) focus screen almost permanently on my last film SLR. This is, I was told, the most effective screen to use for DoF preview. Even so, I found DoF preview to be of very limited use. Other types of screens, perhaps including the ultra-bright screens found in current generation DSLR's, are even worse for this purpose. However I had no choice as the result of the exposure is unknown until hours, if not days, later. So I got into the habit of DoF bracketing when the scene and subject allow this.

Now with an EVF I thought the situation would be better, oh how I was disabused of this expectation. DoF preview is equally ineffectual, if not more so, on the G3 at least. At least now the cost of DoF bracketing is very low (no wasted film, printing, etc.), which makes DoF preview even less relevant.

Are the newer (higher resolution? more precise representation?) EVF's better in this regard? Can you routinely, by using the preview, correctly decide that "F2 is a bit too shallow and F2.8 is about right"?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow