Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EgonVLC
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?
Lens advice for a Nikon newcomer
Oct 7, 2012

I'm jumping ship from Sony and planning my new lens lineup with Sony, and just wanted some advice. I'm not a full time paid photographer, but I use to have some payed asignments. My most common camera use is in the studio, with flashes or continual light, but also do other kinds of photography: nature, low-light, theater plays... I'm looking the best bang for the buck solution, because I cannot spend that much...

This was the equipement I had with Sony:

• Sony A700 (12Mpx APS-C)
  • Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6
  • Minolta 28-75 f/2.8
  • Minolta 50 f/1.7
  • Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro
  • Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro
  • Metz 58 AF1 flash
And this is the equipement I'm planning to get:
Basic line up:
  • Nikon 50 f/1.8G or Nikon 85 f/1.8G: a short tele - portrait lens with good bokeh
  • Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro: a medium tele macro - fast medium tele with good bokeh

Remarks:
After using the Sigma 10-20 in APS-C (15-30 equivalent) I'm really decided to use the wideangle capabilities of full frame, I really love using wideangle, and the Sigma 12-24 is the widest one I have found, and the most afordable.
I loved the Minolta 28-75, usable wideopen even at 75mm f/2.8 and tack sharp at f/4, and the Tamron has the same optics. I'm just a little afraid of Tamron sample variation and the odds to get a lemon.
I thought that Sigma 70-300 APO was an ok lens for the price, so I think the Tamron 70-300 VC would be better in any aspect and will fullfill my long tele needs.
I always felt that the Tamron 90mm was a bit on the short side for real macro work, hence I'm aiming for a longest macro, the Sigma 150, which is the longest 2.8 afordable macro that I've found.
I bought the Minolta 50 f/1.7 as a real bargaing, less than 100€, and it's quite ok. I've used it only few times, but it's a low light champion. 50mm was in the middle of nowhere in APS-C (75mm equiv), so don't know if I should go to real 50mm or 85mm with this one. It also would be used as a best-bokeh lens, when bokeh is a must.
By this time I'm not buying any flash, because I use to use continual light in the studio and available light outside.

Any advice?
Extended line up:
  • Nikon D600 (24Mpx FX)
  • Sigma 12-24 f/4-5.6: ultra wide angle for nature, landscape and travelling
  • Tamron 28-75 f/2.8: normal lens for studio use
  • Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC USD: nature and wildlife
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow