Sony 55-300 Comparison

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
mmhendrie
Regular MemberPosts: 417
Like?
Re: The Tamron is here - how they stack up...
In reply to jcurtistx, Oct 7, 2012

Jeff - just wanted to pass on my thanks. I've been following your evolving opinion on the comparison of these 3 lenses. Its an interesting thing to see. I think most of us who don't have serious cash to part with would look at these 3 as the battle of the best quality affordable lenses that get you to 300mm.

One of the interesting things for me is the Sony being 55 at the short end. Many times I'll take my 75-300mm (Minolta 'new') out with the family for a day at the zoo, and find myself having to jump back to something shorter to get the family shots, I think the 55 on the Sony might be a good solution for the flexibility, but provide better IQ then the super zooms. A bit disappointing that they didn't use the newer quieter SAM, it seems like that would have clearly set the Sony apart as the #1 choice, instead of a needs-based compromise, but I suppose you can't have everything for $300! That said, having just picked up the 18-135mm, it looks like Sony are starting to ramp up the quality of their glass production.

Thanks for all the time and effort on this post, very helpful I'm sure to many.

-Matt

-- hide signature --

www.wingedwarriors.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow