Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
J F
J F
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Question clarification and Purchase made
In reply to jm67, Oct 7, 2012

jm67 wrote

Your original post said nothing about 6 or 5 series cameras.  You merely stated that your 40d (which you used for portraits) is dead/dying and you need a replacement and wondered if the 7d could perform the same function.

"I have read that the 7D is very strong for wildlife, action,etc., but I am curious as to experience on how it handles portrait work. I shoot both indoor with strobes as well as outdoor natural light portraits, and I have been using a 40D. Because of some shutter issues with the 40D I need to get a new camera. Because of some of the other subject matter I shoot, I am interested in the 7D."

Not to defend anyone's replies other than my own, but this is where you may have found the origin of some head scratching.

Since the 7d is essentially the same camera that you've been using, I'm not sure why you need to know what other people think.  It should be obvious that it will perform the same as the 40d but with greater detail, built in flash triggering, and focusing ability if that's what you want.  The idea that a camera is great for action and wildlife but that somehow that precludes it from shooting people is one that's come up since the 7d hit the market and makes me shake my head to this day.  And yes, you can continue to use existing lenses and pick up some faster ones if you need to shrink your dof.  If you've been happy with the 40d (I had one and oddly I miss it and I think it'll go down as one of the best cameras that Canon ever made) there is nothing to suggest you won't like the 7d. Personally I replaced the 40d I had with two 7ds as my crop cameras.  They are used primarily for portraits and have done so for me since the camera came out.

If you want to change your question to include 5 and 6 series cameras, you might want to start a new thread and make sure people understand you want to know what differences you can expect from them.

Thanks for the advice about posting a question about upgrading from the 40d to the 7d or 5 or 6 series. I had posted that question about three days before this one, and almost all the advice was to go full frame.   (Upgrade From 40d to 6d or 7d http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42575549) After reading more info, I decided that the 7d was probably a better fit for my overall needs. That is why I posted this particular question. Perhaps in my attempt to write a short, quick post for people to read/respond to I didn't give enough of the details behind the question.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I did buy the 7d yesterday, and I have been very happy with it thus far. I would agree with the person who said it is like the 40d on steroids. It has been great to use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow