Sigma 17-50 EX OS HSM (Nikon) w/ defective AF: Repair or Refund???

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
dockil
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 17-50 EX OS HSM (Nikon) w/ defective AF: Repair or Refund???
In reply to Josh Jones, Oct 6, 2012

Hi Josh, The auto-focus  speed on Sigma 17-50 is good and accurate . I own Nikon 40 mm micro, Nikon 85 mm 1.8 G , Nikon 70-300 AFS VR and Tokina 12-24. Out of this bunch, Nikon 70-300 is the quickest to lock on focus, while focus speed of Sigma is comparable to 40 mm and 85 mm Nikkor. However the OS of Sigma takes longer to settle as compared to Nikon VR, Today I took some test shots to evaluate OS, with good hand-holding, the keeper rate was good down to 1/8th at wider focal lengths.But battery drains faster with is lens than my other lenses ( about 25% )

So far I haven't taken lens out to shoot landscape so can't say much about corners, but center sharpness is very good even at 2.8. I will say it is comparable to my 40  mm micro at all focal lengths except 50 mm, where it is slightly softer but still very usable, which is a sharp lens. What I gather from reviews is Nikon is better in corners.

For me the deciding factor was price, stabilization and lighter weight as compared to Nikkor 17-55. Of course there are more QC control issues with third party lenses. I was very frustrated to find a defective lens out of the box, but after exchange I am happy so far. Here is shot that I took yesterday.

dockil's gear list:dockil's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow