I am very interested by the SX50 HS BUT THIS REVIEW STOP ME !

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,183Gear list
Like?
Re: I am very interested by the SX50 HS BUT THIS REVIEW STOP ME !
In reply to peter_friend, Oct 6, 2012

peter_friend wrote:

Yes i was interested by this new camera.

But a review at Amazone.com and YouTube stop my desire...

Here the link of the guy's review seems serious

(John Sturgeon's review)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Wide-Angle-Stabilized/product-reviews/B009B0MZ1M/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

and this YOUTUBE video about  Canon SX40 ISO limits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncILazaR18g

It is very important for me to have the capacity for low light and long exposure.

This review announced bad news for me.

What do you think please.

Peter.

I see it differently Peter.  Remember that this is a very small sensor camera, so high ISO and long exposure times produce horrendous noise.  I think that the noise is so high under these conditions that Canon mapped the region of operation out rather than have people try to use it and be very dissappointed, because the noise becomes greater than even very aggressive NR can cope with and still produce a decent picture.  This is where you use your G1X which does an incredible job in low light and high ISO.

What the SX50 does do well, it does very well and gives a region of operation that you cannot get with the G1X -- ie., long zoom and reaching out further.   So you use the camera that does the best job.  There is no one camera that does everything well and is all things to all people.  As long as you keep your G1X for where it is good, there is nothing at all wrong with having a super zoom camera for things you use a super zoom for.  I still intend to buy it to replace my SX40.  But that is not my only camera, nor do I expect it to be.  I have other cameras for high ISO and long exposure times so not having it in the SX50 worries me not at all.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow