ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
X10: Beware of EXR AUTO mode for parties
Oct 6, 2012

Ahoi!

Recently I thought to give the X10 another go and took it with me to a party. Because I wanted to see how EXR AUTO mode works when left on its own (or in the hand of an inexperienced photographer) I left the X10 in that mode and shot away.

Very few images were chosen to be shot "Normal" by the X10.

Some images were chosen to be shot as "Landscape" scene by the X10.

Many images were chosen to be shot as "Portrait" scene by the X10. The latter is no surprise, because all shots include people.

What was a surprise is that even with IS 1 and AUTO ISO (3200) activated, which normally increases ISO to stop down motion, most "Portrait" shots were exposed at ISO 400 or 800 and 1/4s. Even the EXIF field warns about blur with such a long exposure time, but still EXR AUTO mode kept using "Portrait" and firing away that slow.

Using wide open apertures and flash didn't help, so I would have expected higher ISOs being used instead of slower exposure times, but for that EXR AUTO would have needed to detect the motion better or chose the "Party" scene instead of the "Portrait" one. So overall EXR AUTO mode doesn't seem very suitable for parties.

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow