Why does Canon not have an EF 60mm macro?

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ecka84
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?
Re: I did own and use the Canon 50mm f2.5 for a while?
In reply to 4thnebula, Oct 6, 2012

4thnebula wrote:

At the time I had the Canon 50mm f2.5 macro and the Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro.  I was, am still am, using APS-C sensors for macro and found the Canon to be observably better in IQ so I sold the 50mm f2.5 and kept the 60mm which I still have.  However, now I want to move up to FF but there is no FF 60mm (not a Canon one anyway).  A new modern 50mm macro would be great if there is one in the works.  The Canon 100mm f2.8 IS macro looks to be an excellent lens and I would like to have it for outdoor macro work but it would give me too long a working distance for copy work.  My paintings are getting larger and I am finding I am running out of backup space for my 60mm on APS-C.

I understand the Sigma 70mm f2.8 is excellent and that is where I would have to go if I go with FF Canon now.  I would prefer an excellent Canon.

I really doubt that you need more than 1:2 magnification for copy work. IMHO, for most outdoor macro stuff longer lens is better, like 100mm (at least). I think that short macro lenses are perfect for copy work, product and food photography.

#1  Canon EF 50/2.5 - excellent optics, old (1987) & cheap (~$250 new). You can use this one while waiting for something new to be released.

#2  Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 ZE - excellent optics, expensive (~$1250 new), manual focus (not a problem for macro). This may be the best choice at the moment.

#3  Sigma 70/2.8 - excellent optics, not that old (2006). If you don't want Canon 50/2.5, zeiss is too expensive and 100mm is too long, then this one may be a good compromise (~$500 new) and it is 1:1 macro.

ecka84's gear list:ecka84's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow