Canon FF cameras incompatibility with APS lenses.

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Franglais91
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon FF cameras incompatibility with APS lenses.
In reply to KAllen, Oct 6, 2012

KAllen wrote:

Why would you want to do that? The lens would not cover FF by quite some distance. I never had a need to fit Hasselblad lenses on a 5x4 or Nikon lenses on a Hasselblad.

I had a little flurry with Canon cropped sensor cameras, flimsy lenses and lack of anything decent to add to the body was a good enough reason for me not to buy the lenses in the first place. Mounting cropped sensor lenses to a FF body defeats the point of FF.

I can't understand why anyone would want to do it, cropping in Photoshop to use the good section.. eh? Why not just use a 7D in the first place if that's what you want?

FF needs lenses that cover FF, there is no way around that.

Kevin.

Nikon user butting in, apologies. I think there is a justification for putting an APS-S lens on a FF body, in some (chaotic) situations.

On APS-C we got used to having some remarkable do-everything lenses like the 18-200. Nikon have produced a FF equivalent (the 28-300VR) but the performance is uneven compared with the 18-200 (distortion, light falloff, corner sharpness). Not my sort of lens.

However I realised that on FF with a two lens combination I was missing shots. When I'm in the middle of a parade with 500 dancing kids pressed around me there's no way to change lenses. 16Mpix is enough for this situation (D800) so I use the 18-200. When conditions are better I just switch back to a FF lens. It's as simple as that.

I certainly don't want to buy/carry around two bodies just for that.

Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow