7D for portraits

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
SteveJL
Contributing MemberPosts: 882
Like?
Re: 7D for portraits
In reply to J F, Oct 6, 2012

J F wrote:

I have read that the 7D is very strong for wildlife, action,etc., but I am curious as to experience on how it handles portrait work. I shoot both indoor with strobes as well as outdoor natural light portraits, and I have been using a 40D. Because of some shutter issues with the 40D I need to get a new camera. Because of some of the other subject matter I shoot, I am interested in the 7D.

Sad to see your question deteriorated so bad in this thread. Don't let it discourage you as far as these forums go, since you are new here and also to the 7D, I see.
My guess is that you have a common (and not necessarily misplaced) perception that people tend to use FF cameras for portrait work, and that the 7D's strengths lie primarily in sports/action work.
The main reason people tend to use FF primarily for portrait work is low-light capability of the larger sensor which allows lower ISO settings, and also some higher detail in the 100%, which allows large-size printing as well as cropping options. There also seems to some camps of thought that some/many FF sensors have a "warmer" look to their photos, but I cannot confirm this as I have never shot with one. Note also that "portrait photographers" may also prefer the lens options that come with FF and relating focal length directly to a 35mm.

Now, the 7D can basically shoot anything you want it to, but being as it is a APS-C, you would have to do the math as to how a given focal length relates to a 35mm equiv. Also, since a APS-C is not as sensitive as a FF, you may have to use a higher ISO when shooting natural light, which may cause a need to use PP to de-noise (if noise is present). Also, if the photo is not as "warm" as desired, but this is easily corrected in PP, just make sure you have a RAW image to work with.

So, to answer your question, yes that 7D can do portrait work no problem. Although I have never owned a 40D, my guess is that you will find the 7D is like your 40D "on steroids"

Keep asking whatever questions you need to here, this is a great resource for learning. Also consider getting David Busch's "Canon EOS 7D Guide" - it is a great book.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow