Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dubaiphil
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
Faces in the Markets - Image Heavy
Oct 6, 2012

I've recently managed to capture some new street portraits, so I'll add to a few older shots here and post them together.

Dubai has several traditional souks and markets and I have now been able to visit and photograph in them all.  I generally only use one prime lens per visit, due to the dusty air, so visit several times before I try another area of the city.  I'm lucky to be able to dip in and out at times that the few tourists that visit these areas cannot, and get to meet a segment of the population that don't generally have any interaction with westerners.

Most of my subjects here are Indian, Pakistani of Bangladeshi and work in these markets either on the stalls or as porters, hauling goods around the alleyways on old trolleys.  The language barrier is a problem so I cannot ask them to pose.  My only option is to ask them not to move and then move myself into a favourable position to make the most of the light on offer.  One thing these guys share is an amazing ability to stare right through the lens and connect with the viewer.

I shoot in colour, then process in colour and finally convert to monochrome.  Some shots work well in colour, but in others the colour can be a distraction so I have posted here purely in monochrome for consistency.

All shot on a D700 and 85mm f1.4D, 50mm f1.4G or Carl Zeiss 2/35 Distagon:

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow