Sigma 17-50 EX OS HSM (Nikon) w/ defective AF: Repair or Refund???

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Josh Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Sigma 17-50 EX OS HSM (Nikon) w/ defective AF: Repair or Refund???
Oct 6, 2012

Hi everyone,

I purchased a "used" Sigma 17-50 OS HSM from Amazon and received it today.  The listing actually stated "New - Open Box" from the seller and "used - very good" with Amazon.  Nothing was missing from the box and the warranty information had never been filled out.

Upon opening and after inspection, I attached the lens to my D7000  to verify it was in proper working condition.  I was indoors (lots of lighting, so not exactly low light), set the camera to aperture priority, F 2.8, ISO 800, 17mm spot focus and zoomed in on a flower arrangement.  The camera would not focus after 20 seconds.  It continued to "hunt" for focus and never locked.  I decided to back up a bit and zoom to 50mm and found the same end result.  I then switched from AF to manual and was able to lock focus quickly and the focus indicator accurately noted proper focus.  Took the shot and it appeared (on the lcd) to be fairly correct (may require a little fine tuning).

To verify that this was just not due to the low light in the house, I went outside (@ 2pm) and set it to AF, 50mm, F4, aperture priority, spot focus and pointed it at a pole.  I had the same findings as above, it continued to hunt for focus and would never lock.

The company I purchased the lens through states a 100% satisfaction, 30 day money back guarantee.  With that, I am debating on chancing it by sending it off to Sigma for warranty repair or just send back and get my money back.  If I send it back, I am debating on just saving and purchasing a Nikkor, however, I was really hoping this lens would work out as I would save a little extra cash that I could put toward a few other accessories.

Thank you,

Josh

Josh Jones's gear list:Josh Jones's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +2 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow