Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Bau
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
Challenging Canon quality control
Oct 6, 2012

In late August I bought an refurbished SX30 from Canon on their "Loyalty Program". After getting beyond the love affair with having the long zoom, I set out trying to find settings that gave me the most neutral pictures, as a baseline from which to work. After 100 pics I was unable to find one, and became increasingly dissatisfied with the overall quality of the photos. I was getting.

So I wrote an email to Canon tech support with my list of complaints. I told them:

CCD not parallel to camera body (rotated clockwise 5-10 degrees clockwise)

Any picture with the clouds in the sky in it has green or magenta shading in areas of varying intensity. I haven't seen this sort of color error in bright areas since the Agfa 1680 in the late 90's.

Strong purple and green friinging in high contrast areas away from the center of the image. It can be so bad at times that entire tree branches are turned completely purple.

Poor overall color accuracy. Even my old S30 has better color accuracy.

I then told them: this camera has been through your "quality control" procedures twice: once out of the factory, and once at the hand of your techs here in the US. Why didn't they catch any of these issues?

They replied, recommending I reset the camera. I tried to do so, but the entry in the menu to do so is grayed out and inaccessible. So they said to send it in for repair, which I did late last week.

Apparently they agreed with my complaints. On Tuesday I got an email from them, stating they have examined the camera, verified the faults I described, and would repair or replace it under warranty. On the repair authorization, it says "Please note customer comments."

So we'll see what I get back. How many of the faults will actually be addressed?

Nikon Coolpix S30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow