Flat view
desaroo
Contributing MemberPosts: 739
Like?
Shots in the dark, sort of
Oct 6, 2012
Shots in the dark, sort of
This minute

Simply to break the routine and get out of the house last weekend, my wife and I tootled a couple of hours up the road to Dayton, Ohio, to visit the U.S. Air Force National Museum ... and next day a gourd fesitval!

The museum is huge, and you can easily spend 5 or 6 hours there. And, as is often the case at museums, the light for photographers is dismal. I took an Oly EP-L1 and 2.8 17mm lens and a Panny G2 with 3.5 14-42. Moved to MFT when my E-500 on/off switch broke and had to start using a nail to turn it on and off. (Don't much like the Panny; great ergonomics, baffling menu to me; love the Oly, even sans viewfinder.)

Wasn't expecting to get much in the light, but, frankly, I thought the 17mm did really well ... at 1600 (gasp!) ISO. Didn't bother with the G2. Wish I'd had the Oly 12mm or Panny 14mm lens, but so it goes.

Anyway, it's a very nice museum, and if you're within a few hours of Dayton, and you have any interest in the history of flight, schedule a visit to the museum.

OK. Here we go.
First up, a French-built Nieuport 28, which was the first plane that American pilots flew in World War I.

Next, the De Havilland DH-4, based on a British design and the only American-built aircraft to see service in World War I.

If any warplane can be described as "cute," the Boeing P-26 "Peashooter" is it. It's the last of the open-cockpit fighters. It was delivered to the U.S. Army Air Force in 1932 and put out to pasture in 1938.

This is the legendary P-51 Mustang fighter of World War II.

And here's the P-51 that was used by the Flying Tigers in Southeast Asia under Gen. Claire Chenault.

This is the B-29 Superfortress Bockscar that dropped the so-called "Fat Man" atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan, on Aug. 9, 1945, three days after the Enola Gay dropped the "Little Boy" bomb on Hiroshima. Japan surrendered on Sept. 2, ending World War II, but the debate on whether the United States should have used those atomic weapons continues.

Here is the "Sacred Cow," built for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the first presidential aircraft. He flew in it only once, to Yalta, before he died, and it was then used by President Harry Truman in the late 1940s and early '50s.

The nose of the Sacred Cow; I kind of liked this shot.

Here's a B-2 Stealth bomber; boy, a wider lens sure would've been nice.

That's enough. Thanks for taking a peek.

Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow