Jumping ships - DoF

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 16,400
Re: Disk of Confusion diameter is related to ratio of Focal Length divided by F-Number

CarstenKostrzewa wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Sf = ( L / F ) x ( ( Df / D ) - 1 )

The form of the identity for Sf in object-space (directly above) is equivalent to your identity above:

b = ((f * ms) / N ) * xd / (s + xd)

... except - the identity for Sf (in "object-space") is not scaled by a magnification-factor ("ms", above), as is your identity for b which appers to be referenced to "image-space".

The Background Distance divided by the Plane of Focus Distance ( Df / D ) remains constant, therefore ( ( Df / D ) - 1 ) remains constant. The diameter of the Disk of Confusion (in "object-space", and as referred back to "image-space") would change by the ratio of the Focal Length divided by the F-Number ( L / F ) - just as is the case in your (stated to be approximate) identity:

b = ((f * ms) / N )

If my thinking is correct, then I agree with your assessment, and it seems precise (not approximate) ...

... except, I think that it's necessary to scale the ratio of Focal length divided by F-Number as stated:

Sf = ( L / F ) x ( ( Df / D ) - 1 )

... and to then multiply the derived ("object-space") Disk of Confusion diameter by the Image Magnification (the ratio of Sensor Size divided by Object Size) in order to refer it back to the image-sensor (in "image-space") if you want to relate blur-diameter to the image-sensor frame dimension(s).

... which is you ask me is exactly formula I used, as b is in in image space and ms which is the Image Magnification.

Anyway ... thanks a lot for your thoughts.

Likewise ! It is a very rare occurance that anybody engages in the language of basic algebra on this forum whatsoever. It seems to be a tabooed (and/or lost, and/or never acquired) art.

I spent a good while last night pondering the exact meaning of "subject magnification" as used in the Wikipedia DOF web-page. The phrase "subject magnification" is often used to refer to a magnification which is affected by Focal Length (and the corresponding Angle of View).

The identities that we seem to agree upon the veracity of show this particular "magnification" as a separate multiplier of Focal Length - so it makes sense to me that Image Magnification (in that case) might have been a more accurate phrase to have used - as it seems that the phrase "subject magnification" imbues some degree of vagary as to what exactly is being described ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Leo
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow