Started Oct 5, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mark H B Findlay
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Canon 5d3?
Oct 5, 2012

I've got a 7d, 550d and also a Panasonic G3 with 14-140 (light and takes good pics which is great for a cyclist, but the EVF is a pain).  I have an assortment of EF-S lenses including 10-22 EF-S (which I may sell) 60mm EF-S macro, 17-55 2.8 EF-S (which I may sell), 15-85 EF-S (almost permanently attached to the 550d), 55-250 (light, reasonably sharp and costs little). I also have 50/1.8, 24-105L, 100-400L, 2x converter (this combo is great for lunar shots), and 135L (I have a sharp eye for used kit).

So what do I do with this heap of kit? 90% landscape, skies, woodland, sea scapes, plus the kind of shots that everyone takes - family photos etc. I print and show them locally. So I come to my question. I am thinking about full-frame. I am sorely tempted to lay down the cash for the 5dIII, but I question how much it would improve my photography. Sure it's great for low light with its fantastic high ISO, but how much improvement would I see in "ordinary" conditions - shots of sunsets and skies?  I have other options; wait for the 6d, or even move to Nikon d800e, or just keep what I have got.

I print up to A2 but could consider getting A1 prints done by a bureau. I am intrigued by the medium format capabilities of the D800e.

I have a fairly decent Slik carbon fibre tripod, but the problem with tripods as they are not portable on bikes (but I do drive too, but I find tripods are a pain in the wotsits).

Sticking with the 5dIII, I am intrigued by the built in HDR capability (although I am amazed at the horrors that sometimes appear from this technique). It certainly compensates for the relatively limited dynamic range that it has compared to the recent Nikon DSLRs.

I will need a wide-angle for the 5d3, and also a macro, which certainly knocks up the cost. Most of my shooting is wide angle on the whole, so I would appreciate suggestions as lenses.

Oh here is my web site http://www.markhbfindlay.com/ and I am on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/markandstuart , which contains a lot of my photography over the years, including various subjects that I don't often shoot.

Software-wise I use LR 4, which is brilliant, and Photoshop Elements 8 when I need layers etc.

I live in Brighton, UK and suffer from UK pricing for kit, but I have some savings.

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow